Marriage and Divorce Statistics
- Number of marriages: 2,140,272 per year in the USA
- Marriage rate: 6.8 per 1,000 total population
- Divorce rate: 3.6 per 1,000 population (44 reporting States and D.C.)
- First Marriage: 45% to 50% marriages end in divorce
- Second Marriage: 60% to 67% marriages end in divorce
- Third Marriage:70% to 73% marriages end in divorce
- In America, there is one divorce approximately every 36 seconds*. That’s nearly 2,400 divorces per day, 16,800 divorces per week and 876,000 divorces a year.
- Forty-three percent of children growing up in America today are being raised without their fathers.
- Half of all American children will witness the breakup of a parent’s marriage. Of these children, close to half will also see the breakup of a parent’s second marriage.
Source: Census Bureau