The Frederick County Community Marriage Covenant was first signed by 32 clergy representatives on September 8, 2005. In September, 2015 we updated that policy into the present Community Marriage Covenant we now use. A large number of pastors who have added their names to the Covenant.
Frederick County Healthy Marriage Covenant Text
This covenant expresses the common concerns of the faith community regarding the need to strengthen marriages in Frederick County Maryland.
- God has established the sanctity and companionship of marriage in Scripture.
- God intends the marriage covenant between a man and a woman to last for a lifetime.
- God intends religious leaders to nurture the people in their care. This responsibility extends to helping couples prepare for marriage, as well as strengthening and restoring marriages already established.
Therefore, we will do the following to the best of our ability:
- Encourage a courtship of at least one year.
- Promote sexual abstinence outside of marriage and affirm fidelity in marital relationships.
- Provide a premarital preparation process that incorporates a recommended minimum of three premarital sessions. Use of a premarital assessment tool such as PREPARE or FOCCUS, administered by a marriage mentor couple is preferred.
- Promote at least one annual enrichment event in our congregation or in our community to help couples enhance their communication and conflict resolution skills, and deepen their intimacy.
- Train couples with strong marriages to serve as mentor couples for: couples in serious relationships (pre-engaged), engaged couples, newlyweds, couples wanting to strengthen their relationship, and couples experiencing marital difficulties.
- Provide restoration mentoring for marriages in crisis that may be at the brink of divorce, primarily through specially trained individuals, or mentor couples who have restored their own relationship.
- Collaborate with other congregations and the Marriage Resource Center in sharing family resources for the purpose of building healthy marriages throughout the county.
Religious and Community Leaders of Frederick County
The downloadable document above reflects the commitment of religious and community leaders to uphold the elements within the Frederick County Healthy Marriage Covenant. If you can peacefully covenant with this policy, please consider registering your support by completing and submitting a simple form (see button at right). Your name and organization will be added to the listing of signers in your county.